There are a number of certificates, licences and tickets you require in the construction industry depending on the work you are carrying out. However, the most basic certificate you need is a Safe Pass.
No person is permitted to be on a construction site in Ireland without holding a valid Safe Pass.
Safety Officers conduct regular and random visits to sites across the country and can demand you produce your Safe Pass.
A recruiter will not be in a position to consider you for a construction job unless you hold a valid Safe Pass.
To get yourself onto a Safe Pass course you should contact your local DSP Employment Services Office and apply for training. You can also use this same channel to register yourself for Manual Handling training courses.
Scroll through our directory of Safe Pass Trainers nationwide.
European Qualification Framework (EQF)
For recruiters in an EU state, the recruitment process often encountered an issue which was due to the principle of free movement of Labour within the EU.
To aid the recognition of different qualifications across different European countries and systems, the EQF was established.
This framework aids recruiters to identify the level/standard or a job seekers qualifications from a different EU state.
When applying for jobs anywhere in Europe it is now much clearer to see exactly what the qualification requirements are for the particular job. For more information of where on the EQF your qualifications relates, visit the EQF site Here
The use of Psychometric Testing by recruitment agencies and employers alike is becoming more popular with the ever greater emphasis on being able to select the right candidate out of a much larger pool.
Psychometric Tests are structured pencil and paper (or sometimes computer-based) exercises, often in the form of multiple choice questions.
They are designed to assess reasoning abilities or how a candidate would respond to different work situations. The results from the tests are usually then compared with how others have done in the tests in the past.
With regard to what advice we could give for when you are taking the text, we would advise the following
- Getting familiar with tests and doing lots of practice are the most important ways to ensure that you perform at your best.
- Study and familiarise the materials you are given thoroughly.
- Follow all instructions carefully.
- Read the questions and answer choices carefully.
- Work at a swift and steady pace.
- Eliminate as many wrong answers as you can.
- You need to be able to understand percentages and deal with other ratios, so practice.
- If all else fails, guess
- Do not worry if you cannot answer all the questions in the time provided. Tests are designed with more questions than you can comfortably complete in the time allowed.
To practice these tests, try the sites listed below
- SHL some practice tests including verbal, numerical, inductive reasoning, IT and more.
- European Personnel Selection Office samples of tests used by the EU institutions in their recruitment campaigns.
- Universities Psychometric Test Resource free psychometric test resource specifically for University students. Contains numerical, verbal and diagrammatic reasoning psychometric test material.